Eight-Year-Old Boy Isolated In QLD Hospital With Coronavirus
An eight-year-old boy has been isolated in a Queensland hospital after it was confirmed he had coronavirus, health authorities said.
It's now the third confirmed case of the deadly virus in the state and the 13th overall in the country.
Four cases have also been confirmed in NSW, four in Victoria and two in South Australia.
The young boy, a Chinese national from Wuhan, was a member of the tour group that had been travelling with the 44-year-old man and 42-year-old woman who were also confirmed to have the virus last week.
"The child remains in isolation at the Gold Coast University Hospital and is currently stable," Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said.
It comes as the first group of Australian citizens evacuated from the Chinese city of Wuhan touched down on Christmas Island overnight, where they will remain for at least the next 14 days.
They were met by army and medics who escorted them to buses, with evacuees made to wear surgical masks on board.
Globally there have been more than 20,000 confirmed cases of the virus and at least 420 deaths.
Queensland health authorities are expected to provide an update on the state's latest confirmed case on Wednesday morning.