Advertisement

More Homes Destroyed After Mega-Blazes Merge

After hundreds of homes were decimated by bush fires this summer, more properties are feared to have been lost to a mega-fire in south-eastern NSW on Saturday evening.

Three separate blazes merged into one fire in Bega Valley on Saturday, with strong winds and high temperatures fanning the flames.

Bega Valley Shire Council mayor Kristy McBain said at least 400 homes had been destroyed in the past 34 days.

"This pushes our total losses in Bega Valley to well over 400," she said on Sunday.

"It's hard for people because this has been going on for 34 days and counting. We had homes lost on day one and on day 34 we are still losing homes."

The Rural Fire Service is investigating how many homes had been lost in the horrific fire on Saturday after a heatwave swept through the state.

"We don't have official confirmation of the numbers at this point of the houses destroyed on the fire ground," NSW RFS spokesperson Greg Allan told 10 daily.

NSW RFS crews extinguish a fire that crossed the Monaro Highway, four kilometres north of Bredbo, Image: AAP

The RFS warns the fire danger isn't over yet and that conditions will escalate in south-east New South Wales on Monday.

As of 12pm (AEST) on Monday, several blazes in Bega Valley, Snowy Monaro, Eurobodalla and the Blue Mountains were listed at Advice level.

"With strong winds and dry temperatures,  we've still got areas with very high fire danger," Allan said.

National

READ MORE

'Koala Massacre': Government Investigates After Dozens Of Koalas Found Dead

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

"There's a southerly change forecast for today. Unlike yesterday where we saw quite a bit of moisture and rain, it's very dry."

With cooler conditions tomorrow, the ferocity of the fire is predicted to ease, Allan said.

NSW firefighters battle blazes near the ACT border. Image: AAP

"If you're near a fire that's currently burning, make sure you have that conversation with your family about what you'll do if conditions change," Allan said.

In a press conference on Monday, MP Andrew Constance expressed concern for the local community and urged people to donate to Lifeline.

"We're very concerned about the mental health and well-being of everybody in our region who needs support," Contance said.

NSW Health had earlier issued a warning for smoke haze and dust from the blazes on Sunday with Sydney suffering poor air quality due to particles.

Sixty one fires are currently burning across NSW at Advice level, with 2000 firefighters battling the blazes on Monday.

Contact Eden at egillespie@networkten.com.au