Advertisement

South Australia Confirms First Coronavirus Cases, Bringing National Total To 12

South Australia has confirmed two people have tested positive to coronavirus, bringing the national total to 12.

The male and female, both aged in their 60s, had travelled from Wuhan to visit relatives in South Australia.

The couple have been admitted to a public hospital and all isolation procedures are being followed, SA Health said.

Twenty-five cases had been tested in the state, with 15 of those returning negative results. Eight remain pending.

A Melbourne woman in her 20s was also confirmed to have coronavirus on Saturday, just five days after returning from a trip to China.

There are currently 13 pending results and a total of 149 negative results in Victoria.

She spent time in Wuhan, China earlier this year, but returned to Victoria on January 25. The woman is recovering at home, in isolation with no visitors.

The state's health department said "the woman is not considered to have been infections on her flight to Melbourne".

World

READ MORE

All The Times WHO Has Declared A Public Health Emergency

The new coronavirus outbreak has become the sixth global public health emergency declared by the World Health Organisation. So, what came before it?

Melbourne's Monash University is delaying the start to on-campus classes for a fortnight amid concerns over the international coronavirus outbreak.

There are no public exposure sites and no-one has been identified as having close contact with the woman.

The latest case comes as the country's biggest university, Monash University  has delayed the start of the semester in attempt to curtail the spread of the virus.

"The novel coronavirus has created an unprecedented situation where some of our community of students and staff will not make it back in time from affected areas or isolation in time for the commencement of semester 1, 2020," the university said.

On Saturday afternoon, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk called for Australia to follow the United States and enforce tougher restrictions on people travelling from China.

On Friday, the White House has declared a public health emergency over coronavirus, announcing foreigners who've been to China in the past two weeks will be denied entry into the country.

News

READ MORE

United States Announces Temporary Travel Ban Over Coronavirus Fears

The White House has declared a public health emergency over coronavirus, announcing foreigners who've been to China in the past two weeks will be denied entry into the country.

"Our recommendation to Federal government is that we follow the US lead, there are a lot of unknowns and we need to make sure and we need to contain the virus," Palaszczuk said.

She also called for an end to discrimination.

"It is important that people do not discriminate against our Chinese community. They are so involved, they contribute so much to our community," she said.

She also commended the local Chinese community for their response to the global health threat.

"All of the families are absolutely doing the right thing especially families that are coming back from China."

There are two coronavirus cases in Queensland and another four in New South Wales.

World

READ MORE

Forget The Fear And Hype, Here Are The Raw Facts About Coronavirus

The coronavirus has killed 249 in China, and spread to more than 9800 people globally, with the World Health Organisation declaring it a health emergency.