Family's Heartbreaking Plea After Young Toddler's Mystery Death

The family of a toddler has made a devastating appeal for information after their two-year-old died while in the care of his babysitter in 2018. 

The last time Queensland woman Deborah Ballard saw her grandson was August 16, 2018, when she picked him up from daycare. She said the little boy, Connor Horan, was doing his "happy dance".

"He came up to me three times that day doing his little happy dance, putting his arms up in the air to get a cuddle from grandma," Ballard said, in tears, with her eyes closed.

"Gosh, we miss that [happy dance] so much."

Two-year-old Connor Horan was taken to Warwick Hospital with multiple head and internal injuries, and later died. Image: Supplied via Queensland Police

That weekend, Connor stayed at his 38-year-old babysitter's home in Warwick. On August 19, he was taken to nearby Warwick Base Hospital where he later died.

Police said the two-year-old boy presented with multiple head and internal injuries after he was reported to have fallen down a small set of stairs.

At the time, detectives from the Child Trauma Unit set up an investigation after a subsequent post mortem examination.

On Tuesday, the boy's family joined police in launching a public appeal for information into what happened in the days leading up to his death.

Connor's grandmother Deborah Ballard pleaded for anyone with information to come forward. Image: Queensland Police

Ballard said the family think about little Connor every day.

"We just want to know what happened to my grandson," she said.

Connor's mother, Emily Horan, said she has been living a "nightmare".

"We need answers... we really need to get to the bottom of this," she said.

Connor's mother Emily remembered her toddler as "the happiest child'. Image: Queensland Police

Horan remembered her son as the "happiest child".

"He was a typical two-year-old. But there was never a day that went by where he wouldn't cheer you up," she said.

Detective Acting Inspector Matt Howard said police are committed to finding answers for the family, after what was a "tragic event".

Connor's family think about the happy little boy every day. Image: Supplied via Queensland Police

"Detectives are piecing together a timeline of events from that weekend and are seeking the assistance of the public to help us fully understand the circumstances of what happened," Howard said.

"If anyone who was in the Warwick area at the time saw Connor or has heard any information about what took place on that weekend, we urge them to come forward and speak with police.”

Anyone with information should contact police on 131 444 or using the online form.