Advertisement

Woman Dies Choking On Lamington During Australia Day Eating Contest

A woman has died after choking during a lamington-eating competition on Australia Day.

The 60-year-old reportedly suffered a seizure after choking on the popular Australian treat at Hervey Bay's Beach House Hotel on Sunday afternoon.

Efforts were made to resuscitate her and she was taken to Hervey Bay Hospital but could not be revived.

A witness told News Corp she started filming as the competition got underway but noticed something wasn't quite right.

The woman reportedly had a seizure after choking. Image: Getty

“I was filming and just as my friend finished I noticed she was dribbling so I rang 000 as she fell to the ground,” she said.

“I was talking to 000 until they arrived. The manager and security and a friend of mine worked on her until then.

The victim had been selling earrings at the pub earlier in the day.

"The management and staff of the Beach House Hotel offer our deepest condolences to the friends and family of one of our patrons following the tragic event at our venue on Australia Day," the venue said in a statement on Monday.

"We acknowledge and thank our supportive patrons, staff, and the Queensland Ambulance Service for their prompt and professional response while this tragic incident was unfolding."

"The hotel staff have been offered professional support while our thoughts firmly remain with the family at this challenging time."

With AAP.