Brother Of Man Killed In Construction Site Stabbing Sobs As He Remembers 'Gentleman Of The First Order'
At 75 years old, the brother of a man killed at a construction site says he finds solace in soon being able to join his brother.
As Joe Metledge began to describe his brother, Albert, he looked down and began to sob, quietly.
"Sorry," he said, looking up.
"I only have one brother and one sister, and just last Sunday we were having lunch with our Bishop," Joe told 10 News First's Catalina Florez on Thursday in an exclusive interview.
"I was saying to the Bishop how lucky I am to have a brother like Albie … and now we don’t have him anymore."
Joe describes his brother Albert, 76, as a "wonderful","softly-spoken" man and a "gentleman of the first order".
"I know everybody says this about their brothers ... but the thousands -- literally -- of people who know Albert love Albert," he said.
"Workers send him gifts years after they do work for him. He does charity very, very secretly ... He doesn’t want anyone to know."
On Wednesday, Albert was killed at a construction site in Sydney owned by his 33-year-old son, Antony, who was also critically injured in the attack.
Russian labourer Vladimir Kondakov, who police said had been an employee of the company "for some time", is wanted for questioning over the double stabbing.
Chief Inspector Michael Merrett said on Thursday the attack was targeted, "violent and unprovoked", but were unable to provide a motive.
10 News First understands Kondakov allegedly lured Albert and his son into a stairwell at the construction site to check over his work.
The last thing the pair said were words of praise.
"He (Vondakov) was saying something to them about the work. And Albert, a softly spoken fellow, was suggesting, 'what about this?' 'What about that?' Joe said.
"All off a sudden, he got a knife in the heart."
According to Joe, Antony ran to get help, before Vondakov allegedly pierced him with the knife in the back.
He said the family is "consoled" that the knife blade broke off.
"Otherwise he would have kept chasing him, and Antony would have ended up dead or a quadriplegic," Joe said.
He said the family visited Antony in hospital on Thursday morning where he remains in a serious condition following surgery. It's expected he will be out of hospital later this week.
Meanwhile, detectives are calling on the construction worker to hand himself him.
Kondakov hitched a lift to Rockdale on Wednesday afternoon and hasn't been seen since.
The 49-year-old is of no fixed address but is understood to have connections to the Bankstown area.
He was already known to police, but for "unremarkable" matters, Merrett said.
10 News First understands Kondakov had recently taken a holiday back to Russia and only returned last week.
It's believed he had allegedly tried to lure another family member into the same stairwell just days ago, saying "What? Are you scared or something?"
Joe said Kondakov had been known as one of their best labourers.
"They thought the world of this labourer. They thought he was a great guy," Joe said.
But he could only offer words of forgiveness to his brother's alleged killer.
"God forgive you for what you have done," he said.
"No matter whether the police catch you, mate, or don’t catch you, it’s not bringing my brother back."
Joe said his family is trying to digest the tragedy.
"Yesterday, as you would expect, we were shocked. We didn't know what was going on," he said, adding the pain is "slowly settling in".
"The good thing about me, personally, is I'm 75 years of age. It’s only a matter of two, three, four or five years and I’ll be with my brother."