Advertisement

Australia To Ban Pure Caffeine Powder Following Tragic Death

Australia is banning the sale of pure caffeine powder after a young man died of an overdose.

"Lachlan Foote's death was an absolute tragedy and our government is determined to prevent something like this occurring again," Minister for Youth and Sport Richard Colbeck said on Friday.

"The dangers of pure caffeine powder cannot be underestimated."

The 21-year-old died from acute caffeine toxicity in early 2018 after ingesting one teaspoon of powder.

Photo: Nigel Foote/ Facebook

A single teaspoon of pure caffeine can be the equivalent of between 25 and 50 cups of coffee.

The ban will not affect products such as coffee, energy drinks and sports foods, which have much lower concentrations of caffeine.

READ MORE: Tragic Warning After Young Man's Accidental Caffeine Powder Overdose

Senator Colbeck cautioned young people against buying caffeine supplements online.

"Australians are also reminded to be cautious about the products they may be purchasing from overseas or online, which may not be safe," he said.

Minister for Youth and Sport, Richard Colbeck made the announcement on Friday. Photo: Alan Porritt via AAP

Pure caffeine levels in listed medicines have also been restricted to limit the risk of accidental overdoses.

Lachlan's father Nigel has praised the government for its actions, labelling the decision "a legacy" for his son.

"Thank you everyone! People Power... we did it!" he posted on Facebook.