Advertisement

Beloved Pet Cat 'Tyga' Accidentally Put Down By Vet

A family is distraught and furious after their pet cat 'Tyga' was killed by mistake.

South Australia woman Diane Boyd is seeking answers after the family cat, a five-year-old Bengal called Tyga, was put down by a local veterinary clinic.

Both Diane and her daughter Emma believe the clinic thought the cat was a stray, despite it being microchipped.

Tyga had been missing from the Mannum area, east of Adelaide since July 5, 2019. Diane immediately registered him as a missing animal with both the clinic -- where Tyga was a patient -- and the local council.

She didn't hear anything until Wednesday night when the vet rang to tell her they'd accidentally put down her beloved pet.

"I loved that cat," Diane told 10 daily. "He was special."

Tyga the cat. Photo: Supplied.

Emma was more blunt about the clinic.

"They f**ked up," she told 10 daily. "It was disgusting."

She believes the clinic -- a small practice -- only realised its mistake after being alerted to a post about the missing animal via the Lost Pets of South Australia Facebook page.

It's not clear why the clinic put down the animal. Over the phone, it told 10 daily it doesn't comment on animals brought in, stray or otherwise, and directed questions to the Dog and Cat Management Board, which is part of the state government.

The Board did not respond to 10 daily by the time of publication, but later clarified that Tyga's microchip details were not registered with the statewide database Dogs and Cats online, but with another national microchip database.

It added they were "saddened by the unfortunate incident and very sorry to the parties involved."

Diane and Emma Boyd. Photo: Facebook.

Under the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995, council-appointed officers can seize, detain or destroy unidentified cats in their council area, as well as receive unidentified cats seized by the public.

However, identified cats (for example, via a state-required microchip or a name-tag) or cats that are "obviously owned" must be either returned to their owner or released where they were found, according to the Board.

Both Diana and Emma are baffled as to why the clinic didn't realise Tyga was a pet, particularly as he had been treated by the same place for a serious snake bite just last year.

Tyga's vet bills for the snake bite amounted to $2,000, she said. Photo: Supplied.

They have not yet been offered an explanation as to why the mistake occurred.

"They said they're sorry, but it's too late. An apology won't bring my cat back," Diane said.

"I don't want this to happen to another owner," Emma added.

The owners of the clinic have been unable to be reached for comment.

Contact the author: abrucesmith@networkten.com.au