Fire At Sydney Airport Caused By Battery
Passengers are being warned of possible flight delays after smoke from a battery fire filled Sydney Airport's international terminal.
Crews were called in to extinguish the small blaze on Wednesday afternoon, a spokeswoman for Air Services Australia said.
Passengers were evacuated and warned that departure times may be affected.
The fire occurred in the security screening area of the airport.
Sydney Airport said security processing had resumed by 3pm after "an issue with a battery caused smoke" in the departures area.
"Thanks for your patience," it tweeted.
It is understood the battery was being carried by a passenger.
A photo posted on Twitter showed the duty-free shopping area of the airport filled with smoke.
In Australia, spare batteries and power packs must be packed in carry-on baggage.
In 2014 in Melbourne, undeclared lithium batteries that were packed in a traveller's checked bag short-circuited and ignited a fire in an aircraft's cargo hold before passengers boarded the flight to Fiji.