Advertisement

This Photo Will Make You Think Twice Before Leaving Wood By The Fire

A fire station in rural NSW has shared a timely warning to anyone with a fireplace this winter.

The Fire and Rescue NSW Station in Oberon, in the central tablelands of NSW, shared a photo of a burned out combustion heater from an incident in August 2018.

"A lucky save by 411 when wood stored too close to a combustion heater ignited," the post said.

A spokesperson for the fire station told 10 daily they believed the fire began due to radiant heat and pyrolysis.

"The fire started purely from the proximity of the stores wood to the actual fire," they said.

The photo posted to Facebook showed the charred section of wall next to where the wood had once stood, as well as thick black streams of fire damage.

The burned out combustion heater. Photo: Facebook.

"Luckily damage was contained to the immediate wall and ceiling and minimal smoke damage throughout the house," the post continued.

"A timely reminder this season to keep a clear area at least one metre around a heater in your house."

It's generally recommended that wood be stored off the ground to allow air to circulate freely, underneath a roof to keep it dry. For wood inside your home (the stuff you're about to burn), storing it at least one metre away is key.

WATCH: Firefighters Rescue Huge Cougar From Tree

A number of Facebook users said they moved the wood stored near their fireplace further away after the fire station's warning.

"Thanks for the info I am guilty of this -- keeping wood next to the fireplace a bit close!" said Emma Sturgess.

"Me also," Michelle Noonan replied. "I just moved mine as a result of this post."

Where and how wood heaters and chimneys can be installed in the home is regulated by local councils in NSW, so it's recommended you get in touch with yours before making any major changes.

The Clean Air Regulation also requires all new solid fuel home slow combustion heaters in NSW to comply with Australian standards for pollution emissions.