Screams Heard As Three Children Killed In Horrific House Fire
Three children have died in a house fire that engulfed a home in the NSW Hunter Region.
Emergency services were called to the home in Brittliffe Close at around 3.30am on Wednesday after neighbours reportedly heard screams and fire alarm sounds coming from the home.
Firefighters were unable to enter the home through the front door due to the intensity of the fire and were forced to break into the property via side windows.
A NSW Fire Service spokesperson told media on Wednesday that the fire appears to have started at the front of the home and spread towards the rear.
He also said a fireplace or heating device could have started the blaze.
"We've seen, particularly in this area over the last few weeks, that a large number of fires have been caused through heating appliances and so forth, and coming into winter, that is a major contributing factor to fires," The spokesperson said.
"So obviously, knowing that there was a fireplace in the vicinity, it will be a major point of investigation."
Two five-year-old girls and an 11-year-old boy died in the fire.
The two girls were taken to hospital following the fire but later died. The boy was found dead inside the home
A 31-year-old woman and an eight-year-old boy were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation before they were taken to Singleton hospital.
The home reportedly belongs to a family of six, with two adults and four children living at the property.
Police are yet to confirm the identities of the children who died.
The impact on first responders and emergency services is significant, especially in a small town like Singleton, where the community is tight-knit.
"Everybody in a town like this knows somebody who knows somebody in a circumstance like this. So this isn't just a matter of finishing the job and moving on," The NSW Fire Service spokesperson said,
"There's obviously going to be a lot of ongoing work and ongoing support that's needed. Not only for the emergency services but with children involved you've got the local schools and community alike."
Firefighters and emergency services remain at the scene where an investigation is underway.
Contact Siobhan at firstname.lastname@example.org