Hot Cross Buns Urgently Recalled After Calculator Found In Dough
An urgent recall has been issued for hot cross buns in South Australia after a small calculator somehow found its way into a batch of dough, health authorities say.
The Chapley Group, which operates Pasadena Foodland, initiated a recall of products packaged on April 7 after a customer complained about plastic found in their hot cross buns.
A short time later, the company identified the foreign matter as a small calculator, South Australia Health announced on Tuesday.
"The concern with a calculator is that it contains a button battery which, if swallowed, can cause serious injury or even death," SA Health's Acting Chief Public Health Officer Dr Chris Lease said.
Lease said the recall was precautionary and there have so far been no reports of harm or injury.
Button batteries power everything from toys to small electronics, and are extremely easy to swallow.
Despite being smaller than a 10-cent piece, the tiny batteries can cause extensive damage and even death by burning one's insides.
Button batteries have contributed to the deaths of two Australian children and send about 20 kids to emergency rooms each week.
Just how a calculator got into a batch of hot cross bun dough is still unclear, SA Health said, but there has been no evidence the act was deliberate.
The recall includes the following products produced on April 7 and sold in Pasadena Foodland stores:
- Choc Chip Hot Cross Buns 6 pack
- Cranberry and White Choc Hot Cross Buns 6 pack
- Hot Cross Buns 6 pack
- Hot Cross Buns Fruitless 6 pack
- Mini Hot Cross Buns 12 pack
- Mini Choc Chip Hot Cross Buns 12 pack
- Premium Hot Cross Buns 500g
"We urge anyone who may have purchased the affected hot cross buns check the 'packed on' date, not to consume them, and return them to a Pasadena Foodland for a full refund," SA Health said.