Healers Banned For Treating Melbourne Patients With Amazonian Frog Poison
Two South Australian healers have been slapped with temporary bans after allegedly treating Melbourne clients with frog poison from the Amazon.
Carlie J Angel and Brad T Williams, trading as Two Wolves - One Body, are temporarily banned from advertising, offering or providing any general health service in Victoria related to the treatment, which involves the topical application of an Amazonian frog's secretions.
Health Complaints Commissioner Karen Cusack said the treatment, known as kambo, can cause pain, dizziness, shaking, swelling, fainting and severe vomiting.
"In some cases, there is even a risk of dangerous side effects, including seizures and death, especially if the kambo enters the bloodstream," Cusack said.
"It's a breach of the code for a general health service provider to treat clients in a way that is unsafe or unethical.
"Victorians should be aware of the code and know exactly what they have a right to expect from their health service provider."
Cusack has encouraged people to consult a doctor being considering using alternative therapies.
She said her interim orders also ban Angel and Williams from directing or operating any business in Victoria that involving kambo, while she investigates.
On their website, Two Wolves - One Body say they are "certified advanced kambo practitioners".
Via a statement, Angel and Williams said their ban was to do with a "very sad and unfortunate event" with kambo in NSW and are cooperating with the investigation.
"The events in NSW were completely unrelated to us as practitioners, and our hearts go out to everyone involved in NSW," the statement reads.
"We understand that the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services is alarmed by this event and are exercising due caution to protect the public of Victoria.
"As advocates for kambo, we have full belief in our safety standards and protocols and the safety of kambo.
"The prohibition lasts for 12 weeks - however for the foreseeable future we will be unable to serve kambo in Victoria."