Advertisement

Calls For Aussie Venues To Cancel Heavy Metal Gig Over Nazi Salute Video

There are calls for Australian venues to follow New Zealand's lead and cancel upcoming performances of a U.S. heavy metal singer, who was reportedly filmed giving a Nazi salute at a show in 2016.

Former Pantera frontman Philip Anselmo was due to play with The Illegals in Christchurch and Auckland on March 26 and 27, just over a week after 50 people were killed in two mosques.

In light of the attack, the two venues announced the shows would no longer go ahead.

In a now-deleted post on Facebook, Christchurch venue Club Tavern said it "does not and will not support white supremacy or racism". Auckland venue Galatos said it would not be hosting the event due to information "which has made us uncomfortable about proceeding with this show".

A video of Anselmo purportedly throwing up a Nazi salute before shouting "white power" at a gig in California circulated online in 2016.

At the time, he was widely condemned by the metal community, including Machine Head frontman Robb Flynn who uploaded an 11-minute video to Youtube in which he claimed Anselmo had been making racially charged remarks backstage at the event.

READ MORE: 'It's OK To Be White' Banner Unveiled At Big Bash Cricket Match

“Only in the metal community is something like this so, so brushed off,” Flynn said.

"If this was Chad from Nickelback, if this was Justin Bieber, if this was Tom Brady, if this was Lars f*cking Ulrich … heads would roll.”

The same year, Anselmo wrote and filmed an apology.

"Anyone who knows me and my true nature knows that I don't believe in any of that," he said in the video.

"I don't want to be part of any group, I'm an individual and I am 1000 percent apologetic to anyone that took offense to what I said because you should have taken offense to what I said."

READ MORE: The Australian Nazi 2.0, And Why We Need To Take The Threat More Seriously

As it stands, the Australian leg of the Anselmo's tour will go ahead as planned, kicking off in Canberra on Thursday night before making its way to Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle, and Hobart.

The tour is sold out.

Dr Dvir Abramovich, Chairman of the Anti-Defamation Commission, said Anselmo has no place performing in Australia.

"Such abhorrent and divisive behaviour has no place here, not now, and not ever, and we call on the organisers and the venue owners to immediately cancel the scheduled concerts,"  he said in a statement.

Anselmo performing at Lucky Strike Live in 2016. Image: Getty

New Zealand tour promoter Ben Mulchin of Valhalla Touring said prior to booking the band in the country, he had to do some "soul searching".

"Did his apologies seem earnest?" Mulchin said in a statement.

"Did he fully comprehend his hateful display? Did he - as a prominent figure in metal - take responsibility on how his actions can embolden and encourage others to hate? I think this last thought is pretty important in the current situation."

Overall, the promoter said he believes Anselmo "is of a respectful loving nature".

10 daily contacted Direct Touring for comment. The company's Facebook page claims to be bringing Anselmo and his band to Australia.

Contact the author vquested@networkten.com.au