Chris Dawson’s Legal Team Say They Hold The Key To Beating Murder Charge

Christopher Dawson made his way into court as his brother Peter cleared a path. He’s been out on bail since just before Christmas, accused of killing his wife Lynette.

Not much was said inside court but on the way out Dawson’s lawyer Greg Walsh boasted he had something that could help his 70-year-old client beat a murder charge.

The handwritten diary of Helena Simms, victim Lynette Dawson’s mother, has been given to the defence.

Asked how significant that was, Walsh replied; “They're very significant. I won't tell you anything -- I won't jeopardise the case -- but that type of evidence is critical in an historical case like this.”

Mrs Simms was the last person to speak with Lynette before she disappeared almost 40 years ago from the Bayview home she shared with husband Chris. He was charged last year with her murder but denies killing his wife.

The Dawson camp also took aim at Hedley Thomas -- the reporter behind investigative podcast The Teacher’s Pet -- accusing him of contaminating evidence.

Chris Dawson (left) and brother Peter Dawson leave at the Downing Centre court in Sydney, Thursday, February 14, 2019. (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)

“He has played a very central role in the circumstances in which Mr Dawson was charged. What he's done in my understanding has been to impact upon the reliability of witnesses,” Mr Walsh said.

The podcast was released in May last year. Behind the scenes, detectives from the Homicide Squad’s Unsolved Homicide Unit had been reinvestigating the cold case since 2015.

READ MORE: Police 'Tie Pieces Of The Puzzle Together' In Lyn Dawson Murder

READ MORE: Chris Dawson Released On Bail In Time For Christmas

Both the Prosecution and Defence has been granted extra time to go through the mountain of evidence gathered in this case.

Four and a half thousand pages have already been shared but 100 gigabytes of material from the Teacher’s Pet podcast is still to come.

The Magistrate also relaxed Dawson’s bail conditions so that he can travel to Sydney to help build his case -- as long as he gives police 48 hours’ notice. He was previously banned from going anywhere near an airport.

He’ll be back in court on May 9.