Two Bodies Found In Townsville Floodwaters
Bodies have been found in the search for two missing men in flood-ravaged Townsville.
10 News First understands the two bodies were found in a stormwater drain in the northern suburb of Aitkenvale.
Police had been desperately searching for two men, Hughie Morton, 21, and Troy Mathieson, 23, who were last seen near the site of an alleged bottle shop looting in the flooded suburb on Monday morning.
"They were involved in another police investigation," State Disaster Co-coordinator and police Deputy Commissioner Bob Gee earlier told reporters on Tuesday.
"We are out there looking for these men because we are concerned about their safety."
There has been no confirmation the two bodies located this afternoon are those of Morton and Mathieson.
Police have responded to two reported break and enters in the flood-affected area which have since been resolved.
Meanwhile, 60 extra police officers touched down in Townsville to keep the community safe as some residents return to their sodden homes.
'We have a long way to go'
Floodwaters are at last starting to recede as the city in Far North Queensland looks ahead to a long recovery.
"We have a long way to go. I'm asking for people to have patience," Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said on Tuesday.
The latest police deployment adds support for extra officers already stationed in the flood-affected region, with Commissioner Gee saying security was a priority moving forward.
"I want to assure the community that we're doing everything we can do keep them safe," he said.
While the flood risk will continue for the rest of the week, forecasters say an end to the disaster is in sight.
The monsoon trough that has flooded large swathes of the city in recent days unleashed another deluge overnight across Bluewater, Bluewater Park, Toolakea Beach and Saunders Beach.
10 News First found a car that was swept away in fast-moving waters at Bluewater, where 356 mm of rainfall was recorded in the past 24 hours.
The monsoon trough has also generated floods out west, with farmers around Cloncurry, Mckinlay and Flinders shire reporting livestock losses.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Commissioner Katarina Carroll said it was impossible to know how many homes had gone under across the city.
"It's easily hundreds, it could be thousands," she said, but added audit teams were being hampered by the enduring risk of flash floods hitting with each new deluge.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology, the flood risk will continue for the rest of the week.
"... potentially easing over the weekend -- there is an end in sight," Dr Richard Wardle from the bureau said on Tuesday.
But communities from Cardwell to Mackay could still see heavy and very heavy falls in coming days.
The premier said a recovery centre was opened in Townsville as food and other supplies are on their way on the re-opened Bruce Highway.
She has also ordered her agriculture minister to consult western mayors about help for farmers.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison met with flood victims on Tuesday morning, and said he felt for families who'd lost so much.
"A lot of young families, they've worked so hard to get themselves into these homes and to see them just damaged so badly, it must just be heartbreaking," he said.
So far almost 9000 people have applied for personal hardship grants.