Father Electrocuted In Driveway In Front Of Wife And Children
Tributes are flooding in for a father of three who was electrocuted by a fallen powerline in his driveway in Punchbowl on Saturday night.
It was just after 10:30pm when a loud bang rang out over Acacia Avenue. The powerlines above Hossam Ibrahim’s home had exploded and snapped in two.
He and his family were on the balcony as the pair of live wires hung precariously over his garden, spitting sparks and threatening to start a fire. Hossam went outside in the pouring rain to investigate.
His children and neighbours screamed at him to stay away, but he was determined to protect his family, and unfortunately came in contact with the live wire.
He dropped to the ground and was instantly on fire.
Horrifically, his wife and children saw the whole thing from their balcony. They tried to run to him but a passerby grabbed them before they were electrocuted too.
Their screams then echoed through the tight-knit street, so loud they could be heard blocks away.
One neighbour, David Andraos, ran to Ibrahim and tried to use a piece of wood to pry him away from the deadly currant.
“I picked up an old table that was being tossed out and thrown it on the cable to no avail, it was just like the cable was melted to him, it was stuck underneath him on his pants and I couldn’t do nothing about it,” he told 10 News First.
“I just feel sorry for his family, really.”
Emergency crews raced to the scene, extinguishing the fires, but there was little they could do for Hossam as the power lines were still live.
Inspector John Brotherhood from New South Wales Ambulance Service said it was “extremely frustrating” to see the man lying there unable to be treated.
“The staff wanted to get in there and do their job but unfortunately in this situation they had to stand back and watch until it was safe,” he told reporters at a press conference.
“One of our staff members does know the family personally and it is tragic. We have provided all of our services to that staff member.”
Hossam was a local pharmacist, President of Egyptian House Australia and well-respected in the Islamic community.
The 38-year-old and his family, including 3 children aged 5, 7 and 12, had only moved into that property a week or two before Christmas.
He’s been described as a polite, humble man who always had a smile on his face and worked tirelessly for the sake of Allah.
“May you be accepted into the highest levels of paradise Dr Hossam Ibrahim,” a post from Eahab Arja said.
Ausgrid arrived 30 minutes after the incident and isolated the power to allow crews to treat him and ensure no one else was at risk.
In a statement, it said the cause has not yet been confirmed but an investigation is already underway.
It urges all members of the public to be aware around downed powerlines, adding that they should always be treated as live and that you should keep a distance of at least eight metres.