Police 'Tie Pieces Of The Puzzle Together' In Lyn Dawson Murder

Chris Dawson has been arrested in Queensland and is expected to be charged over the murder of his wife Lynette.

Queensland Police confirmed to 10 daily a man was arrested on Wednesday on the Gold Coast.

"A 70-year-old Coolum man was arrested by detectives from the Queensland Police Service’s Homicide Squad in the presence of Strike Force Scriven investigators at Biggera Waters, on the Gold Coast, in Queensland," NSW police said.

Dawson was hoped to be extradited to NSW on Wednesday, however police were unable to organise air transport for him out of Queensland.

10 News First reporter Matthew Howard reported that he would instead be extradited on Thursday.

Sydney couple Chris Dawson and Lyn Dawson (nee Simms) married in 1970 when they were both 21 years old. Image: The Teacher's Pet

READ MORE: Police finish Lynette Dawson Search With No New Evidence Found

READ MORE: Thirty-Six Years On, What Happened To Lyn Dawson?

Additional evidence collected during the investigation which lead to the arrest was made up of mostly witness statements, NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller told reporters on Wednesday.

"They were predominantly statements from witnesses that helped us to tie pieces of the puzzle together," he said.

"No doubt it will be a voluminous brief with an enormous amount of evidence and there are a number of witnesses that will be called."

Fuller said two additional witnesses have come forward since April.

The disappearance of Lyn Dawson -- a mother-of-two who vanished from Bayview in Sydney’s northern beaches -- has been an enduring 36-year mystery.

The case has risen to recent prominence as the subject of record-breaking podcast The Teacher’s Pet.

READ MORE: Lynette Dawson's Family Speak After Husband's Arrest

In 2015, NSW Police established Strike Force Scriven to re-investigate the circumstances surrounding Dawson's disappearance and suspected murder.

Police at the former home of Lynette Dawson in Bayview. Image: AAP
Police remained at the home for a week. Image: AAP

A week-long search of her former home in September failed to find any new evidence.

Two separate inquests previously recommended to the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) that a "known person", now identified as Chris Dawson, be charged with her murder, but the DPP determined insufficient evidence to lay charges.

Earlier this week, the ODPP provided advice to police, and following further inquiries, detectives applied for an arrest warrant before travelling to Queensland, police said.

Fuller said despite recent investigations failing to locate Lyn's body, he believed finding her remains was "not crucial" to the case.

"We have solved homicides before without identifying the body," he said.

"Ideally in this case we will not give up on trying to identify the whereabouts of Lynette Dawson, but from our perspective, it is not crucial to finalising the matter."

Detective Superintendent Scott Cook said the 70-year-old was "calm and a little bit taken aback" when arrested on Wednesday morning.

Greg Simms, Brother Of Lynette Dawson Speaks Out

While appearing at Southport Magistrates Court on Wednesday afternoon, he sat quietly looking at the floor, trembling at times with his shirt visibly shaking as he breathed.

He was refused bail and extradition to NSW was granted. He will appear in Parramatta court on the December 6.

A Family Relieved

Speaking on Studio 10 on Wednesday, Lyn's brother Greg Simms -- the first of her family to be contacted by police today-- said the family were "over the moon" about the arrest.

"It’s taken a long haul but it’s going to be a very good Christmas for our side of the family knowing that we’ve finally got somewhere," he said.

“I’m sure there’s a hell a lot of people around Australia who are in the same situation as us in relation to a loved one going missing, but it’s just one of those things you grin and bear it and we’ve fought to keep our sister’s name out there and finally we’ve got some sort of justice on the way."

Psychic Medium Claims She Knows Where Lyn Dawson's Body Is

Lyn's niece, Renee Simms, also appeared on Studio 10 and thanked journalist Hedley Thomas for bringing her aunt's case back into the spotlight more than 30 years after her disappearance.

The Mystery Of Lyn Dawson

After a career playing rugby league for the Newtown Jets, Chris Dawson worked as a P.E. teacher at Cromer High School.

During his time as a teacher, he met a student. She became the family's babysitter and months later the pair became involved in a sexual relationship.

In 1982, Lyn confronted the student over the affair, telling her she had been "taking liberties with my husband," The Australian reported.

An undated photo of Lynette Dawson, who was last seen in January, 1982. Image: AAP via NSW Police

It has been alleged by police Chris became increasingly resentful towards his wife, believing she stood in the way of a life with the student.

On the weekend of January 9, 1982, Lyn disappeared. Her husband reported her missing six weeks later.

The former teacher has strenuously denied any involvement in his wife's disappearance.

His family said they were "disappointed" at the decision of the DPP.

"There is clear and uncontested evidence that Lyn Dawson was alive long after she left Chris and their daughters," they said in a statement.

"We have no doubt whatsoever that Chris will be found not guilty as he is innocent."

Police Searching For Lynette Dawson At Northern Beaches Home