Two Arrested For Allegedly Lighting Fires In Queensland
Two men have now been accused of lighting separate fires near Rockhampton, as bushfires continue to rage across central Queensland.
State Disaster Coordinator Bob Gee warned that arson offences carry a hefty jail term as he told reporters a 27-year-old man had been taken into custody for attempting to light a fire at Port Curtis on Friday.
A 26-year-old man was arrested on Thursday for attempting to create a fire in Rockhampton, he said.
Emergency crews are currently fighting an estimated 114 fires across the state, with no end in site as extreme heat and strong winds fuel the situation.
A "leave now" warning remains in place for Deepwater, while residents in areas including Dalrymple Heights, Broken River, Captain Creek and Winfield are being urged to prepare for evacuation.
"We are not out of it yet. This is huge job with five more days of intense weather," Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said on Friday.
Bureau of Meteorology state manager Bruce Gunn echoed Palaszczuk's warning.
"The fire danger was well below the catastrophic levels of Wednesday but it is still in the very high to severe range and that is serious enough to get fires going again and continue them on," he said.
"There is no significant rainfall expected to stop these fires so while we don't have the catastrophic conditions, the fires will continue until we can find another way or another to put them out."