Urgent Toxic Algae Warning For Fish And Shellfish In WA

People are being warned to avoid eating fish or shellfish from Mindarie Marina in Perth after testing confirmed highly elevated levels of potentially toxic microscopic algae.

The algae could produce paralytic shellfish poisoning, WA Health acting environmental health executive director Richard Theobald said on Wednesday.

"These algae, which are not visible to the naked eye, can produce a very potent neurotoxin which could be absorbed by filter feeding shellfish and potentially consumed by crabs and fish to a lesser extent," he said.

"Normal cooking processes will not destroy these toxins."