Tales Of Heroism Emerge From Bourke Street Terror Attack
Authorities are praising members of the public who helped police take down a man who launched a deadly terror attack in Melbourne.
A man with a shopping trolley is being heralded as a hero after putting himself in harm's way on Friday when he jumped in to help police take down a man who stabbed three people in Melbourne's CBD.
Members of the public have praised the "trolley man", who was seen twice attempting to ram the knife-wielding attacker with a shopping cart, shortly before police shot the offender in the chest.
"Trolley man", who has not yet been identified, has been praised online for his bravery, alongside several other members of the public who rushed to help the three victims who had been stabbed in the attack.
Another man was also seen on footage using a chair and attempting to hit the attacker with it.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has praised both authorities and members of the public for their quick response in taking down the offender.
"In the midst of tragedy, you can find such pride in the work of by-standers to come to the aid of others."
"We also take this opportunity to thank those very brave and dedicated members of Victoria Police who did all of us proud in their very quick response in very dangerous circumstances," Andrews said.
"Equally, those strangers, people who were by-standers who knew nobody involved, who stepped in without a moment's hesitation, to render support and assistance to the brave members of the Victoria Police, they too are people whose qualities make all of us proud as well."
Victoria Police on Friday confirmed they were treating the attack which occurred just before 4:30pm in Melbourne's busy Bourke Street as a terror-related incident.
Police were responding to reports a car was on fire.
Once at the scene police say the man who emerged from the car attacked officers, before members of the public alerted them to several people who had been stabbed.
A fight ensued between officers, members of the public and the offender before the attacker was shot in the chest by officers and taken to hospital in a critical condition under guard.
He since died in hospital and was known to police.
On Friday, Police Commissioner Graham Ashton said the suspect had moved to Australia from Somalia in the 1990s.
Dozens of disturbing images and videos from the incident have emerged on social media with the attack taking place in broad daylight.
The incident occurred shortly before what was expected to be a busy night in the area, with the annual unveiling of the Myer Christmas windows.
The fire inside the four-wheel-drive Ute was put out within minutes of authorities responding, however police confirmed members of the bomb squad were called in after several gas bottles were found inside the vehicle.
Victoria Police are urging any witnesses to the incident to attend Melbourne West Police station to give a statement, or alternatively upload any images or videos from the incident to the Victoria Police facebook page.
If you need help in a crisis, call Lifeline on 13 11 14. For further information about depression contact beyondBlue on 1300 22 4636 or talk to your GP, local health professional or someone you trust.
Featured Image: Source: Twitter (@Windix)