Man Claims He Pulled Dead Slug From Guzman Y Gomez Burrito Bowl

A Sydney man was left horrified after allegedly finding a dead slug in his order from Guzman Y Gomez.

Adrian Day ordered a burrito bowl from the popular Mexican food chain on Saturday, and had apparently started eating when he said he noticed the slug, tucked away in the rice, beans and chicken.

The slug Adrian found in his burrito bowl. Photo: Facebook.

"No! We literally just pulled a dead slug out of a burrito bowl," he posted on Facebook.

"Slugs are toxic!"

He posted three photos to Facebook, clearly showing the slug tucked away in his food, complete with a small sliver of cheese on it.

Although it's rare, slugs can be deadly if eaten. Photo: Facebook.

Guzman Y Gomez told ten daily that it's conducting a thorough investigation into the incident, and that the health and safety of its customers is of the utmost importance.

"An allegation that a foreign object has been found in our food is highly concerning," a spokesperson said.

"We are treating this with utmost seriousness and will be conducting a thorough investigation."

Day has been contacted for further comment.

Although it is not believed that Day ate the slug, nor is it believed that he suffered ill-health effects, eating slugs can at rare times have severe health consequences.

Sydney teenager Sam Ballard ate two garden slugs on a dare in 2010, and became profoundly disabled as a result. He had contracted rat lungworm, a parasite that in rare cases can cause an infestation of the brain called eosinophilic meningo-encephalitis.

Ballard was in a coma for more than 420 days, and became paralysed.

Sam Ballard's mates still rally around the now 27-year-old. Photo: The Sunday Project.

Eight years later, and Ballard still needs 24-hour care, but is making progress with his health, and his mum Katie Ballard told The Sunday Project's Lisa Wilkinson earlier this year that she has every hope Sam will "walk and talk again".

Teenager Becomes Severely Disabled After Eating A Slug

But there's no doubt that a silly dare has profoundly changed Ballard's life.

"It's devastated, changed his life forever, changed my life forever," said Katie.

"It's huge. The impact is huge."

Contact the author:

Photo: Adrian Day / Facebook