Electric Blanket Causes SA House Fire

An electrical blanket left on in the morning is believed to be the culprit behind a fire that caused major damage to a home in Adelaide.

A family of three fled the Salisbury Downs house after a smoke alarm sounded as flames took hold about 11.30am on Saturday.

It took 23 firefighters half an hour to extinguish the large blaze, which the Metropolitan Fire Service believes was sparked by an electric blanket.

READ MORE: Fire Rips Through Pasta Factory In Melbourne

"Only use electric blankets to warm the bed and switch them off before going to bed to limit the risk of fires," an MFS spokeswoman said in a public reminder on Saturday.

The fire collapsed the roof of the home and caused an estimated $300,000 damage but firefighters managed to save neighbouring homes that were under threat.