Cadbury Vows To Change Food Packaging After Death Of 9-Year-Old
Confectionery giant Cadbury has vowed to make changes to its packaging, following a Ten Daily and Ten News joint investigation into its food labeling practices in the wake of a 9-year-old girl's death.
Isabel Marrero died from an anaphylactic reaction in March this year, after her mother gave her what looked like her favourite biscuit.
Helen Marrero routinely bought Cadbury choc chip cookies and had no idea she had accidentally brought a different biscuit, because the packets were almost identical.
“They both look like choc chip cookies to me even when you open them up they look pretty identical but one has the allergen egg and one doesn’t,” she said.
Following her daughter's tragic death Marrero took on food manufacturers in a bid to strengthen allergen labelling laws.
Now, Cadbury has responded to the heartbroken family, vowing to change their packaging so that different products are crystal clear.
The company said it would add additional colour and descriptions to help differentiate the packs.
"The aim is to highlight further that the products are different," the company said in an textto the family.
But the new products will not hit our shelves until next year, because the company says it will take months to ship them to Australia.
"As mentioned previously, the product is made overseas and shipped to Australia, so it does take some months to make it here," Cadbury said.
"We’re doing everything we can to make this change as quickly as possible, and we expect the new packs to be in-store early in the new year.”
Marrero says it's hard to describe her loss, and that life without Isabel "has been very hard, just ever second thinking about her and trying to implement change so this doesn't occur again."
She's urging all parents to continue being vigilant and check every ingredients list before purchasing.
“Please, which I have learnt now, please read every single time you have purchased a product, even if you've been buying it for five years.”