Hero Neighbours Rescue Pair From House Fire

An 86-year-old woman has suffered smoke inhalation and a 62-year-old man has suffered burns

What you need to know
  • A grandmother and her son have escaped a fire at their home in Sydney's south-west on Monday night.
  • Neighbours rushed to help before emergency services arrived to extinguish the blaze and treat the pair for smoke inhalation and burns.
  • Police say the fire is not being treated as suspicious

An 86-year-old grandmother and her 62-year old son are lucky to have escaped serious injury after a fire ripped through their Casula home in south-west Sydney overnight.

Shocked neighbours say they noticed flames coming from the top floor windows of the property at around 10pm on Monday and rushed to help the man and woman trapped inside.

Some neighbours tried to fight the fire with their garden hoses while others managed to smash through the lower ground window of the house to get to the pair and pull them to safety.

Emergency services were called to the scene where officers found the property well alight when they arrived.

Fire & Rescue NSW managed to extinguish the blaze while NSW Ambulance paramedics treated the woman for smoke inhalation and the man for burns to his hands.

They were both taken to Liverpool Hospital for further treatment.

Police say they are investigating the circumstances surrounding the fire but are not treating it as suspicious.