99-Year-Old War Veteran Rescued From His Burning Home
Jackson almost lost everything in the fire, as neighbours tell of hearing the veteran's "screams for help" as they rushed to save him from the blaze.
What you need to know
- Bob Jackson was saved from his burning home, but his two pet dogs weren't so lucky.
- Police are searching for a seventh war medal that went missing during the fire.
- Jackson is recovering in hospital ahead of his 100th birthday next month.
Bob Jackson was cooking in the kitchen when his home of 45 years went up in flames just after 7 o’clock on Sunday evening.
Neighbours told Ten Eyewitness News they heard the decorated world war two veteran’s “screams for help” and rushed in to pull him out. Some neighbours grabbed fire hoses to try and douse the flames.
Firefighters also managed to save six of his war medals but a seventh is still missing.
Sadly, Bob’s two beloved dogs appear to have perished in the fire.
Neighbours are now rallying to help the former tail gunner get back on his feet by sorting out accommodation and raising money.
Known as a bit of a character in the Salisbury neighbourhood, locals in his street are shocked by what’s happened but say Bob is “lucky to be alive."
Susie Cruse, a resident who visits him regularly and helps care for him, said the 99 year old is “tough and a fighter.”
“He’s been through so much, he can get through this,” Cruse said.
She told Ten he is recovering at Greenslopes hospital, and is sitting upright in bed with minimal injuries.
Bob Jackson had only marched in Brisbane’s Anzac Day parade last week. He takes part in the event each year. Friends are also organising a birthday party to celebrate his 100th birthday next month.