Advertisement

Furious Fans React As Grand Prix Is Cancelled At Last Minute

Thousands of racing enthusiasts had lined up for hours ahead of Melbourne's Grand Prix before learning via megaphones that the race was called off.

Despite the on-again, off-again reporting on whether the Grand Prix would run as planned, fans still turned up in droves on Friday morning hoping to be let in.

Glued to their phones to try and keep abreast of the latest developments, fans were frustrated that communication was unclear.

Studio10 crossed live to 10 News Reporter Jayde Cotic as organisers came out with megaphones to inform the crowd.

Sport

READ MORE

Australian Grand Prix Officially Cancelled For Fans AND Drivers

The Australian Grand Prix has been officially cancelled after a morning of confusion for fans, drivers and officials.

"AGPC has been informed by Formula One of the cancellation of the race," a race staff member repeatedly told the crowd.

And the crowd was quick to show their displeasure.

"I feel like killing someone right now, I'm so angry," one man shouted. 'We want a refund," said another.

David Simpson, an official from The Australian Grand Prix Corporation announces to the crowd of spectators waiting at the gate that the Australian Grand Prix has officially been cancelled.  Image: AAP

As furious fans began to chant "cash is king", others questioned why they were allowed to gather in large crowds queueing up, only to have the event cancelled in the interest of public health.

"It is terrible, it was bad before it is just worse now they waited for us to get here," one man who has travelled from overseas to attend said.

Spectators queue at the gate to gain entry ahead of the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix 2020.  Image: AAP

Others had a broader perspective and were understanding of the health and economic considerations.

"It is what it is and it is a highly complex situation with all the money involved but ultimately its disappointing for people who turn up year in year out," a woman told Network 10.

The FIA, motor sport's governing body, Formula 1, and the Australian Grand Prix Corporation confirmed the cancellation in a joint statement on Friday morning.

McLaren had already withdrawn from the season opener after a team member tested positive for COVID-19.

Haas team principle Guenther Steiner reacts after the event has been cancelled ahead of the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix 2020 at the the Albert Park Circuit in Melbourne, Friday, March 13, 2020. Image: AAP

The developments come after six cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in Victoria on Thursday, bringing the state's total number of infected people to 27.

Contact the author alattouf@networkten.com.au