Advertisement

Brekky Wrap: Uni Student Leaves Maggot-Infested Puppy To Starve To Death On Balcony

All the news you need to know this Friday morning. Warning: graphic images

A 25-year-old university student has been jailed after leaving his one-year-old dog to starve to death on his Sydney balcony.

Hongyou Zou had been charged with two animal cruelty offences over the death of his Maremma Sheepdog, Milk.

He was handed a 16-month sentence, with a non-parole period of eight months at the Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday, having been charged with aggravated animal cruelty and failing to provide treatment for emaciation.

An RSPCA inspector found Milk lying dead on a cardboard box at the Zetland property on June 20, 2019, after receiving an animal cruelty complaint.

It is believed the dog was severely emaciated, weighing just 10.1kg. Many maggots were found on its carcass.

NSW Local Court Chief Magistrate, Judge Henson, said the defendant’s conduct was “egregious” and “wicked”.

One in eight Australians adults and one in six children are living in poverty, a new report has found.

A joint study by The Australian Council of Social Service and UNSW Sydney found 13.6 per cent of the population -- or 3.24 million people -- are thought to be living below the poverty line, after taking into account housing costs.

Of those, 774,000 children are living in poverty.

The council's chief executive Cassandra Goldie said Australians were locked into poverty by low welfare rates, a lack of jobs and unaffordable housing.

She called on the government to raise welfare payments, invest in social housing and boost jobs growth.

More than three million Australians are living below the poverty line. Image: Getty

"Our economy is leaving people behind, with persistently high poverty rates despite decades of uninterrupted economic growth," Dr Goldie said.

Researchers warned Australia's poverty rate was worse than most wealthy countries, including New Zealand, Germany, and Ireland.

In Australia, the poverty line is $457 per week for a single adult -- which is measured as 50 per cent of median income.

The average gap between the poverty line and people living in poverty is $282 per week.

The royal commission into Australia's deadly bushfires season is a "window of opportunity" for climate change policy, environmentalists say.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison released the inquiry's terms of reference on Thursday.

It will focus on which levels of government are responsible for preparedness, response, resilience, and recovery from fires, and how this can be better coordinated.

The role of climate change has also been acknowledged, with the probe to consider Australia's approach to resilience and adaptation to climate change.

Politics

READ MORE

Scott Morrison's Popularity Nosedives In Wake Of Bushfires: Poll

Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s popularity has taken a serious hit in the wake of the bushfire crisis, according to a new comprehensive poll.

Richie Merzian

READ MORE

We Need A Climate Action Plan Come Hell Or High Water (Which Are Already Here)

In a matter of days, many Australians have been thrust from one extreme to another -- from bushfires that refuse to be put out, to flooding rain that seemingly won’t stop. It’s a cruel irony.

Australian Conservation Foundation chief Kelly O'Shanassy said this part of the inquiry must be taken seriously.

"We have a window of opportunity to not simply adapt, but to reduce, the impacts of climate change on future bushfire seasons and the threat it represents to life, property and our natural world," she said.

"No amount of resilience building or adaptation will prepare Australia for the full force of global warming of 3C or more, which is the path we are all on right now."

Former Defence Force chief Mark Binskin will lead the inquiry, along with former Federal Court judge Annabelle Bennett and climate professor Andrew Macintosh.

A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after stabbing a 70-year-old muezzin leading prayers inside a London mosque.

According to the London Central Mosque Trust, the prayer leader did not sustain any life-threatening injuries and is being treated in hospital.

London’s Metropolitan Police said detectives did not believe the incident was terror-related.

Pictures posted on Twitter showed police officers restraining a man in the prayer hall of the mosque, near Regents Park, and then leading him away.

A witness said about 100 worshippers were in the mosque hall at the time of the attack and about 20 people jumped on the assailant.

“I heard screaming,” the witness, who declined to give his full name, said.

“And then we saw the blood.”

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was "deeply saddened" to hear of the attack.

A plane crash that killed four people has left the Victorian aviation community devastated, opened a family's old scars and raised questions that will have to be solved by the investigators.

The cause of the crash between two light planes on Wednesday is not known and is still under investigation by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau which will provide an update in about 30 days.

There is no indication that either pilot was at fault.

Ms Beilharz shared the grief of losing Chris Gobel, a 79-year-old man described as an aviation "legend" who was planning to retire later this year.

National

READ MORE

'Aviation Legend' Among Four Killed In Mid-Air Collision

An aviation 'legend', a world champion and a 'fantastic' teacher are among the four people killed after a two-plane mid-air crash in regional Victoria.

His death while flying with a 27-year-old Melbourne West woman yet to be identified has hit a family that suffered an equally tragic loss 15 years ago.

Gobel and his wife Wilma lost son Anthony, 35, in a light plane crash in NSW in 2005.

Speaking to AAP, Beilharz said the family was intricately involved with aviation.

"It took quite a bit of time to recover from that tragedy and this now just seems a repetition of it for Wilma. It doesn't make sense, it's not fair," Beilharz said.

A hostile capacity crowd is forecast for the T20 series-opener at Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg on Friday night.

The clash will mark David Warner and Steve Smith's first match in South Africa since the Cape Town ball-tampering saga that rocked the cricketing world. Both players were hit with 12-month suspensions.

Warner isn't expecting a repeat of the hostilities during the tour.

"It's one-day cricket and Twenty20 cricket. You don't really have much time over the short period of time to get underneath each other's skin or anything like that," he said.

"And you don't go out there to do that... for us, our focus is moving forward and trying to get the wins on the board and send a message to everyone that the (T20) World Cup is in our backyard and we want to be a team to be beaten."

Wicketkeeper-batsman Quinton de Kock -- now South Africa's captain after replacing longtime incumbent Faf du Plessis across all formats -- said he expected the series to be played in the right spirit.

"I think me and (Warner) have moved on from there anyway. We just look to play cricket, we still both love to play the game really hard. But I don't think anything will happen," he said.

And you're all caught up with 10 daily.