Brekky Wrap: Man Freed From Jail Hours Before Raping And Murdering School Friend
The mother of a teenager who was raped and murdered has lashed out at police for allowing her daughter's killer to be released from prison hours before the incident.
Joseph Trevor stabbed Megan Newton nine times in the back before raping her after she offered him a place to stay in Newcastle in the UK.
The 19-year-old, who knew the victim from school, had been released from prison just hours earlier after being detained for drug possession.
Newton's mother Sarah blasted police officers for allowing the man to go free after he'd taken ketamine and possibly cocaine on the night her teen daughter was killed.
"Questions need to be asked as to how Joseph came to be released before he killed and raped Megan, and the police should be held accountable," she told The Sun.
"If the police had done their jobs, she would be here today."
Trevor admitted to one count of murder and two counts of rape and has been sentenced to more than 21 years in prison.
According to The Sun, he is the son of a former local police officer.
Mother-of-three Hannah Baxter has died in hospital from severe burns after her car was doused in petrol and set alight, reportedly by her estranged partner, in Queensland.
Police confirmed a 31-year-old woman died from her injuries after a six-year-old girl, four-year-old girl and three-year-old boy were killed inside the burning car at Camp Hill.
Her ex-partner Rowan Baxter, 42, also died at the scene, with police now investigating what is believed to have been a murder-suicide.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will formally step down as senior royals from March 31.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will no longer perform duties on behalf of the Queen, with arrangements to be reviewed after a year.
The couple said previously they will divide their time from the UK and the United States and will become financially independent.
Harry and Meghan have been in Canada with their son Archie after returning to the UK in January from a holiday on Vancouver Island.
A Brazilian tourist has been hit with 13 revenge porn charges after allegedly taking intimate photos of a man before uploading them to the internet.
Fabricio Da Silva Claudino, 31, arrived in Australia on a tourist visa in July 2019 and has almost 30,000 followers on Instagram.
Da Silva Claudino allegedly took images of a sexual nature without consent on four occasions at Marrickville and in Mollymook, according to court documents seen by The Sydney Morning Herald.
He will return to court on Friday and is expected to apply for bail.
US President Donald Trump reportedly said he'd pardon Julian Assange on the condition he denies Russia's involvement in leaking emails during the US election.
Assange's barrister Edward Fitzgerald QC said there was evidence former US Republican Congressman Dana Rohrabacher made the offer on behalf of the White House.
The White House responded claiming it is "a complete fabrication and a total lie".
Assange is facing extradition to the US on 18 charges over leaked diplomatic cables.
US tennis star Jack Sock has shed tears after breaking a two-year losing streak by winning the ATP tour.
The World No.8 hadn't won an ATP Tour since 2018 in the Paris Masters.
Sock came from behind and saved a match point to defeat defending champion Radu Albot 3-6 6-3 7-6.
He will now face Steve Johnson in the second round.
Contact Eden at email@example.com