Advertisement

Dozens Struck Down With Gastro At Popular Aussie Resort

At least 50 people have fallen ill with gastroenteritis at a popular island resort off the coast of Brisbane.

Managers at Tangalooma Island Resort on Moreton Island were alerted to the issue last week when a number of guests and staff became ill.

A Queensland Health investigation found that the drinking water had been contaminated with E. coli bacteria.

While further tests are carried out on the aquifer, all people at the resort are being urged to boil their drinking water or buy bottled water.

Metro South Health public health physician Dr Kari Jarvinen has advised anyone who has visited the resort recently to be on the lookout for symptoms.

Image: Google Maps

“Gastro caused by bacteria can give you nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhoea (sometimes with blood in it) and fever," he said in a statement to 10 daily.

“There is also a risk of dehydration, especially for young children and babies, the elderly and people with serious medical conditions.

"If gastro is severe or continues, even fit and healthy people can become dehydrated so it is important to keep your fluid levels up, including using rehydration solutions available from your pharmacist.

“If you are concerned about your symptoms or those of your children, it is important to seek medical advice,”Jarvinen said.