Tourist's Foot Bitten Off By Shark In Queensland
A man's foot has been bitten off by a shark during an attack off the coast of Airlie Beach in Queensland.
The English tourist, 28, and another man, 22, suffered injuries in the attack on Tuesday in Hook Passage.
RACQ's Central Queensland rescue service said one of the men "had his foot bitten off" and the other was left with serious injuries to his lower leg.
Both the British travellers were airlifted from the Whitsundays to Mackay Base Hospital after being treated by paramedics at the scene.
Tour company ZigZag Whitsundays confirmed on Tuesday afternoon that the men had been guests on one of their tours.
"We are saddened to confirm that two of our guests were injured in a shark attack this morning. Our thoughts are with them, their families and the other guests on the tour," the company wrote on Facebook.
"We are working with authorities to assist in any way we can.
"We have suspended our tours for today and will work closely with authorities regarding our upcoming tours."
RACQ said the men told their rescuers that they had been "wrestling and thrashing about in the water" when the attack occurred.
It's understood the younger man was attacked first. The shark then swam away and returned to attack the 28-year-old.
There have been a number of shark attacks in the popular tourist region in recent years.
So far this year there have been 11 shark attacks across Australia.
Four of those happened in NSW and four in Queensland.