Advertisement

WATCH: Puppy Sets Fire To House While Owner Watches On CCTV

Archie the 10-month old French Bulldog x Boston Terrier is in the dog house after he played with a lighter and set his human's couch on fire.

The puppy caused upwards of $60,000 damage to a unit in Ringwood in Melbourne's East --  when he was fiddling with the lighter and subsequently set the couch on fire.

Thankfully, Archie's owner Danielle Danski was watching the whole ordeal on CCTV and alerted Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) who arrived within three minutes to extinguish the blaze.

Other residents from the complex were also evacuated until the smoke was cleared.

MFB Commander Graeme O'Sullivan told 10 News First it was very unusual for a dog to be able to activate a lighter.

"We've had a few calls in the past where dogs and cats have knocked over candles, incense or oil burners ... but this is certainly the first time we've seen a fire caused in this fashion."

“I've never seen anything like that in my 30 years in the job. A very clever dog I must say.

"He was very keen when they got there and opened the door up, he basically ran out and jumped in their arms. I think he knew he'd done something wrong and was in a bit of trouble," O'Sullivan said.

Firefighters said Archie was a little shaken up but had no injuries, and he got the all-clear from the vet.

O'Sullivan also had a warning for pet owners.

"It's a little bit of a funny story but I guess the main message is just for people to make sure to store those items safely because this just goes to show what can happen."

The incident happened on October 16. Footage shared by 3AW showed how Archie managed to start the fire.

Cleaners were at the property on Friday to fix the smoke damage and begin the process of making the unit liveable again.

Until then, it could be some time before Archie is out of the dog house.