Duke And Duchess Of Sussex Sue British Newspapers For Alleged Misconduct
Prince Harry is set to sue publishers of The Sun and the Daily Mirror in the High Court regarding the alleged illegal interception of voicemail messages, while Meghan has filed separate action against the Mail on Sunday,
A spokeswoman for News Group Newspapers, publisher of The Sun, confirmed that a claim had been issued by Harry.
Court documents also show Harry is targeting Mirror Group Newspapers with legal action.
"Claims have been filed on behalf of The Duke of Sussex at the High Court regarding the illegal interception of voicemail messages," a spokeswoman for Harry said, declining to give further details of the claim.
Back in 2013, a London court heard the phones of Prince Harry, and his brother William's wife Kate, were hacked by staff working for Rupert Murdoch's now-defunct News of the World tabloid.
The published article dates back to around 2007, when then News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman and a private investigator named Glenn Mulcaire were convicted of hacking voicemails left for royal aides and then jailed.
Between them, News Group and Mirror Group have paid out almost $1 billion to victims of phone-hacking in settlements and legal costs.
In addition to the claims against The Sun and Daily Mirror over the phone hacking, Meghan has filed separate legal action against the Mail on Sunday.
The Duchess's new claim is over the publication of a private letter to her father that Meghan's lawyers said was "unlawful".
Harry recently accused sections of the British tabloid press of "ruthless" treatment against his wife.
In an emotional statement released earlier this week, the Duke spoke candidly about the “bullying” Meghan has received.
Referring to his late mother Diana, Princess of Wales, the prince said his "deepest fear is history repeating itself".
"I've seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person," he said.