Teen Mum Who Allegedly Put Murdered Newborn In Caravan Toilet Granted Bail
A Victorian woman has faced court in Perth charged with wilfully murdering her newborn son when she was 14 years old in 1995.
A woman who was a teenager when she allegedly murdered her newborn baby, whose body was found in a West Australian caravan park toilet more than 20 years ago, has been granted bail so she can return to Victoria.
The 38-year-old woman cannot be named because she was just 14 when she allegedly killed the boy in Kambalda, in WA's Goldfields region, in July 1995.
Cold Case Homicide Squad detectives travelled to Victoria to charge the woman with wilful murder and she was extradited to WA to face Perth Children's Court on Thursday.
Flanked by two security guards, the woman cried during proceedings and spoke little.
The court heard the baby did not have a name, but others have referred to him as Rijul, meaning "innocent" in Hindi.
The woman now lives at a rented home in regional Victoria with her 17-year-old son and has shared custody of an eight-year-old child.
She also has some contact with her other children, who live in Tasmania with their father, the court heard.
The woman previously worked as a cleaner but is currently unemployed and receives Centrelink payments.
Judge Gillian Braddock described it as a "traumatic and tragic" case, saying the woman was also a victim of crime, as she was 13 when the baby was conceived and her pregnancy should have raised "great concerns" for any responsible adult.
She said no one knew about her "condition" and she was "totally alone". Judge Braddock said the case was unlike anything she had come across before in this jurisdiction.
She noted the woman had no relevant criminal history and had cooperated with police.
"I am satisfied that these are exceptional circumstances," Judge Braddock said.
Under the woman's bail conditions, she is required to report to police three times per week, must stay away from airports unless she is returning to Perth for a court appearance and cannot apply for a passport.
She must also provide a $100 personal undertaking.
Defence counsel Claire Rossi said Crisis Care would cover the cost of the woman's travel back to Victoria.
Prosecutors did not oppose the bail application.
The woman will be allowed to make her next court appearance via video link on November 11.
Police said earlier this week that an investigation was ongoing into the circumstances surrounding the conception of the baby.