Heroic Firefighters Pull Man From Burning Home

Firefighters have rescued a man from the kitchen of his burning home in Sydney's inner west.

Emergency services were called to a home on West Street, Five Dock, just before 2.00 am to find the single storey house well alight.

Firefighters quickly discovered an elderly man trapped inside the kitchen of the building and pulled him to safety.

It's understood that he slept in the front room where the fire broke out and roof collapsed and is lucky to be alive.

"He was doing his best to get out of the house and was lucky to be found," Fire and Rescue NSW Inspector Rob Jansen said.

A full investigation into the cause of the fire has been launched. Photo: 10 News First

The resident was rushed to Royal North Shore Hospital for treatment and is expected to remain in intensive care for days.

“He’s got minor burn wounds but his lungs have taken a toll so they’ve put him under to monitor him for the next 72 hours," His daughter Rhonda Vaughan told 10 News First. "But hopefully everything will be okay”.

It took nine fire and rescue crews close to an hour to bring the blaze under control, their efforts hampered by a high fuel load.

There are suggestions that hoarding could have contributed to the severity of the blaze.

NSW Police have confirmed they have established a crime scene and a full investigation into what sparked the blaze is now underway.

Gonzalo Herrera. Photo: 10 News First

One of the firefighters on the scene, Gonzalo Herrera, was one of four who help stop the man accused of killing Michaela Dunn, 24, and injuring Linda Bo, 41, during a stabbing rampage a fortnight ago.

READ MORE: 'Superhero' Firefighters Honoured For Bravery During Sydney Stabbing

Herrera and his colleague Mitch Bennetts grabbed tools from their truck and chased Mert Ney, helping detain him on the ground with other members of the public who had risked their own lives.

All were hailed heroes.

“This is our role as we normally do it and it's very different to what we experienced a couple of weeks ago,” Herrera told reporters at the scene of the fire on Wednesday.

Contact Katie at