Rare Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills Swimmer At Water Park
A rare brain-eating amoeba has killed a US man after he swam in a man-made lake at a North Carolina water park.
A US man has died from a rare brain-eating amoeba after swimming in a man-made lake at a water park, North Carolina officials say.
The state Department of Health and Human Resources said the infection was caused by the amoeba naturally present in warm freshwater during the summer.
The man became sick after swimming in Fantasy Lake Water Park in Hope Mills in Cumberland County on July 12.
READ MORE: How The Brain Stops Us From Taking Revenge
The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed it was caused by Naegleria fowleri, a single-celled organism known as the brain-eating amoeba.
It can be fatal if forced up the nose but does not cause illness if swallowed.
Symptoms typically begin with severe headache, fever, nausea and vomiting and progress to a stiff neck, seizures and coma.
The amoeba can cause severe illness up to nine days after exposure.
Health officials say the amoeba is known to have infected just 145 people in the US from 1962 to 2018.