Advertisement

Man Dies From Flesh-Eating Bacteria After Beach Trip, Family Says

A grieving daughter is warning others that flesh-eating bacteria is not an urban legend – it is a real threat that took her father's life.

Cheryl Bennett Wiygul, from Niceville, Florida, wrote a lengthy Facebook post on Wednesday explaining the short timeline from when her dad became infected by the bacteria to when he died about 48 hours later.

"There is not enough education out there about the bacteria in the water. There needs to be signs posted at every beach, every city and state park, and every bayou stating that 'due to naturally occurring bacteria in the water people with open wounds or compromised immune systems should not enter,'" Wiygul wrote.

She explained her dad is battling cancer and therefore has a compromised immune system. However, he has gone swimming many time over the years and his family did not see the risk. This time, Wiygul's parents were visiting her in Okaloosa County, Florida, about a week after a 12-year-old girl contacted a flesh-eating bacterial infection in Destin, her post said.

Okaloosa County put out information to defuse any rumors about the incident. Officials said the girl had a cut on her leg, which lead Wiygul to believe as long as no one went into the water with open wounds, they'd be OK.

"When my parents got in town I was fanatical about Neosporin and liquid bandaid," Wiygul wrote.

"My Dad didn't have any open wounds. He had a couple places that were practicality healed small scratches on his arms and legs that I made sure were super sealed up."

READ MORE: A Woman Has Contracted A 'Flesh Eating' STD

The family "had a blast" splashing around various bays and beaches, Wiygul said. Her dad seemed fine until about 4:00 a.m. on Saturday morning. "12 hours after we were in the water, he woke up with a fever, chills and some cramping," his daughter wrote.

Wiygul with her husband children and parents on the right. IMAGE: supplied

Since her dad has a history with illness, Wiygul's parents thought it was best to go home to Memphis to be closer to his doctors. On the way home, however, her dad's condition drastically worsened. He was suffering severe pain in his legs, and when he got to Baptist Hospital in Memphis, there was a swollen sore on his back that had not been there before, Wiygul said.

READ MORE: Surfer Dies After Contracting Extremely Rare 'Brain-Eating Amoeba'

She said her mother told the hospital staff he had been in Florida, where there was bacteria in the water that could cause the so-called flesh-eating infection necrotizing fasciitis. However, "one person told her the media had blown that out of proportion. Others said it was staph," Wiygul wrote.

Her dad's condition worsened and he was moved to the ICU. "He was gone by Sunday afternoon. Less than 48 hours after getting out of the water feeling great, the bacteria had destroyed him," Wiygul wrote.

The concerned daughter said when the family got her dad's test results back, they confirmed he had been infected with Vibrio vulnificus, "which manifests into necrotizing fasciitis" she said.