$1 Million Reward To Solve Brutal Murder Of Young Nanny

Investigators are offering a $1 million reward to solve the cold case murder of Penny Hill, a young woman who was brutally murdered in NSW in 1991.

Hill was 20-years-old when she was left in a ditch on the brink of death next to Cassilis Road outside Coolah.

She was found with severe head and facial injuries and was rushed to Newcastle's John Hunter Hospital but died in hospital nearly two weeks later.

This year marks the 28th anniversary of Hill's death.

At the time of her death, Hill was working as a nanny for the Baigent family, owners of the Black Stump Hotel in Coolah. She had arrived in Coolah just three days earlier to take up the position.

Penny Hill. Source: AAP Photos.

Despite extensive investigations and appeals to the public for information, Hill's killer was never found.

Last year an initial reward of $100,000 was offered by NSW Government for information leading to a conviction for the young woman's murder.

The officer in charge of the investigation, Detective Sergeant Jason Darcy made the public appeal, saying that Hill's family deserved closure.

READ MORE: Reward For 46-Year-Old Cold Case Of Murdered School Girl Doubled

READ MORE: Who Killed Janine Vaughan?

"It's any parent's nightmare, obviously [she took] her first job out of town and away from her parents, and this happens to her in only a couple of days since she left home".

In 2012, police reported that the forensic examination of evidence had uncovered a DNA profile of a man who is yet to be identified.

Police have conducted more than 100 DNA tests throughout the state, with samples taken from suspects in Coolah, Dubbo, Orange, Lithgow and Sydney after they were confirmed to be in the area at the time of the murder.

In 2013, NSW police sent forensic samples from a car believed to be linked to the murder to the U.S. for comprehensive testing but the results were inconclusive.

Two coronial inquests have taken place investigating Hill's death, with one in 2012 revealing that Coolah resident Leeola Davis had woken on the night of her death to screams of "Help me, please help me" but had dismissed the sounds as a dream and went back to sleep.

"It was very pleading, it was definitely a woman's voice," Davis said.

Black Stump Hotel, Coolah. Source: VisitNSW.

"I turned on the lights and looked out the window and down the driveway, I stayed up for a while and I didn't hear anything else."

Davis' husband, Stephen, who lived with his wife behind the Black Stump property, told the inquest that he had heard the click of a van door shutting and the vehicle driving back into town the same night.

"This was very slow and a click, not a jump," Davis said. "Something in my mind said, 'that's odd'".

Darcy said in 2018 that police are still pursuing lines of inquiry.