Where's William Tyrrell? EP 3: One Last Roar

William Tyrrell’s foster parents are calling for an overhaul of police protocols following revelations the crime scene was never quarantined because it was initially thought he had just wandered off.

Episode three of 10 News First’s Where’s William Tyrrell? podcast has revealed responding officers did not seal off the yard where William was last seen playing on September 12, 2014, instead allowing dozens of people through the area, potentially contaminating any forensic evidence.

William’s foster mother, who cannot be identified for legal reasons said she fears any trace her foster son’s abductor may have left behind has been lost.

“It does concern us because there may have been evidence, there may have been something that pushed police in an entirely different direction,” she said.

She said she does not blame responding officers, instead calling for a change in protocol.

William’s foster grandmother’s house on Benaroon Drive, in Kendall, the day after he went missing. It was set up as a command post for the ground search.

“There were easily 10, 20, 30, 40 people that walked all through the house, the grounds around it and all around mum and dad’s house and the grassy area.”

William disappeared from his foster grandmother’s yard on Benaroon Drive at about 10.30am, sparking an extensive ground search of the street and surrounding bushland.

READ MOREWhere's William Tyrrell? EP 1: The Little Boy In The Spiderman Suit

READ MORE: Where's William Tyrrell? EP 2: Two Families 

Police initially believed the three-year-old boy had simply wandered off and become lost in the bush, but detectives now believe he was abducted.

Former Queensland detective Dennis Martyn, who helped solve the abduction and murder of Queensland boy Daniel Morcombe, was also interviewed for the podcast and said preserving the scene where a child goes missing could be crucial to finding them.

“You need to record who's been into the crime scene, you need to identify the crime scene, and preserve whatever you can possibly preserve so that the evidence that could be there can be preserved and forensically checked,” he said.

William’s foster mother said while they believe the officers on the scene “did the best they could”, they believe protocol around missing children cases needs to be changed to ensure the crime scene is always sealed off until the circumstances can be established.

“We're not blaming the responding officers... the protocols aren't in place and those protocols do need to be in place because this isn't the only time a child is going to be abducted,” she said.

William Tyrrell.

“Because any other family who's gone through what we've been through should never be put in this position.”

While it's up to the coroner on what she chooses to examine and recommend, the foster parents are urging the coroner investigating William’s disappearance to examine the management of the crime scene when the inquest resumes in August and consider recommending the changes to police protocol.

A spokesman for NSW Police said ‘the matter is subject to a Coronial Inquest and it is not appropriate to comment further’.

Episode three of Where’s William Tyrrell? released today, includes extensive interviews about the crime scene and in-depth analysis of the first 24 hours after William vanished.

If you have any useful information or to get in touch with the makers of this podcast, please email

Listen to the story on AcastItunes and Spotify.