Brand New Vape Pen Explodes, Shatters Teen's Jaw
A Nevada teenager has been left with broken teeth and a hole in his jaw after his e-cigarette exploding in his face.
Austin Adams, 17, had been using the new device in a bid to ease his addiction to tobacco when it blew up, without warning.
Shocked and unable to speak, the teen's mother drove him five hours to the nearest hospital, a paediatric facility.
"This child had a blast injury to his lower jaw, as well as burns around his lip," said Doctor Katie Russell, one of the trauma surgeons who treated Adams.
Doctors needed to remove several teeth and insert a dental plate under his gums to stabilise the jaw before wiring it shut for six weeks to allow it to heal, according to NBC.
“People need to know before they buy these devices that there’s a possibility they’re going to blow up in your pocket, in your face,” Russell said.
It's believed that the lithium-ion battery inside had overheated.
While the incident happened just over a year ago, details have only been published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine.
It's one of many serious incidents involving e-cigarettes.
In February, a man, 24, was killed when his vape pen exploded, slicing open his carotid artery.
He had just bought the pen from a store in Texas when is erupted, shooting across his mouth.
It's understood the battery had malfunctioned.
In May 2018, a Florida man died after his e-cig exploded, pierced his skull and set fire to his room.
Statistics show that there were more than 133 injuries from e-cigarettes, vaporisers and other similar devices were reported in the U.S. between 2009 and 2016.
In Australia, there have been no violent deaths recorded but researchers are still assessing the health risks of the devices.