Police Warn Of No Excuses As Queen's Birthday Double Demerits Begin
'Drive to survive' is the message from NSW police ahead of the June long weekend.
Operation Stay Alert kicks off tomorrow, with officers warning they will be out in force targeting speeding, mobile phone use and seat belt and helmet offences.
Double demerits will be in force across NSW until Monday night.
Those nabbed touching their phone behind the wheel will be hit with 10 demerits points and a hefty fine.
Minister for Police and Emergency Services David Elliott said police are not interested in excuses when it comes to ensuring the safety of everyone on the road.
“Drivers need to be vigilant, tragedy can strike anywhere, at any time,” Elliott said. “Don’t become insulated in your own invincibility, be alert and remain mindful of drivers around you -- drive to survive," he said.
The warning comes as the road toll in NSW soars to 165, 12 more than the same time last year. The majority of those who have lost their lives on the State's roads so far this year are men.
“Speeding or drink driving doesn’t make you more of a man -- nor does risking the life of your mates or those you love,” Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy said.
He has called on all passengers to stand up for their own safety.
“I am renewing our appeal to passengers, regardless of where you are sitting in the vehicle, to call the driver out on their behaviour,“ Corboy said.
Speeding, drink driving and fatigue are the biggest killers on the roads, and with many Sydneysiders expected to head south to the snow for the Queen's Birthday long weekend, drivers are being urged to take breaks and be aware of their surroundings.
Last year, three people lost their lives in separate crashes during Operation Stay Alert. Police are hoping this year will be fatality-free.