REVEALED: Australia's Richest And Poorest Suburbs
Australia's wealthiest people live near Sydney's northern beaches and earn more than 10 times the income of the nation's poorest.
New figures from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) show exactly where our wealthiest and poorest residents live.
Palm Beach and surrounds took out the top spot, and regional NSW's Callaghan (adjoining Newcastle University) came in last. The average income for the former was $209,741, and the latter had an average taxable income of $20,589.
The data for 2016-17 is based on information from 13.9 million Australians.
Last year the divide was not nearly as big -- an income difference of $180 496 -- separated Sydney's postcode 2027 and far-northeast NSW postcode 2387.
Top Earning Suburbs
- 2108 -- NSW -- COASTERS RETREAT, CURRAWONG BEACH, PALM BEACH
- 3142 -- VIC -- HAWKSBURN, TOORAK
- 2027 -- NSW -- DARLING POINT, EDGECLIFF, POINT PIPER
- 2030 -- NSW -- DOVER HEIGHTS, ROSE BAY, VAUCLUSE, WATSONS BAY
- 2063 -- NSW -- NORTHBRIDGE
- 2023 -- NSW -- BELLEVUE HILL
- 2028 -- NSW -- DOUBLE BAY
- 2088 -- NSW -- MOSMAN, SPIT JUNCTION
- 3944 -- VIC -- PORTSEA
- 2110 -- NSW -- HUNTERS HILL, WOOLWICH
Eight out of the top 10 highest-earning postcodes were in Sydney, while the other two were in or near Melbourne.
Melbourne's 3142 postcode was the second highest with an average taxable income of $193,904.
Lowest Earning Suburbs
- 2308 -- NSW -- NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY, CALLAGHAN
- 4611 -- QLD -- MONDURE, MARSHLANDS
- 3482 -- VIC -- WATCHEM, WATCHEM WEST, MORTON PLAINS, WARMUR, MASSEY
- 2052 -- NSW -- UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES
- 3889 -- VIC -- ERRINUNDRA, MANORINA, COMBIENBAR, BEMM RIVER,CABBAGE TREE CREEK
- 2356 -- NSW -- GWABEGAR
- 4731 -- QLD -- YARAKA, ISISFORD
- 4705 -- QLD -- MOUNT GARDINER, MACKENZIE RIVER, MARLBOROUGH, CLARKE CREEK
- 4732 -- QLD -- TABLEDERRY, MUTTABURRA
- 4402 -- QLD-- KOORALGIN, UPPER COOYAR CREEK, COOYAR
Queenslanders live in half of the bottom 10 postcodes, with 4611 recording the states lowest average income of $23,225.
Women Earn More Than Men In These Jobs
Women earn more than men in 6.5 percent of 1,100 occupations.
These roles include where females work as magistrates, authors, illustrators and pro-surfers.
The Highest Earning Jobs
Surgeons have the highest income, with a national average taxable income of $394,866. Surgeons also took out the top spot in the previous year.
In total, Australians reported donating $3.5 billion in charitable donations with an average gift size for those who did donate of $770.
The most generous state was Western Australia, with 30 per cent of residents claiming an average deduction of $1190.
Northern Territory residents recorded the lowest charitable donations, with 34 percent of residents claiming an average deduction of $405 for donations.
Contact the author firstname.lastname@example.org