Mother Of Toddler Left On Bus For Six Hours Wishes 'No Slander' On Childcare Centre

The mother of a two-year-old boy who was left unattended on a bus outside a childcare centre for six hours wishes "no slander" upon the centre. 

The toddler is back under the care of Yass Little Learners centre, in the NSW Southern Tablelands, after he was found inside the parked vehicle about 3pm on Wednesday.

His mother told reporters he is "back to himself".

"I will remember this day forever and I'm so thankful he is healthy and alive," she said.

The toddler was collected from his home by the centre's daily drop-off service but wasn't taken off the vehicle when it arrived onsite.

Paramedics arrived at the scene up to six hours later to find the boy "alert and orientated" but dehydrated, as temperatures peaked at 28 degrees.

NSW Ambulance Superintendent Mark Gibbs said bystanders acted on medical advice to wrap the boy in wet towels.

"If it was a hotter day, the situation could have been very different," he told 10 News First.

The young boy was treated at the scene for dehydration before being taken to Yass Hospital as a precaution.

The boy's mother (R) said he is "back to himself". Image: 10 News First

He was later discharged under the care of his mother, who said she does not lay blame on the family-run centre.

"Accidents do happen and sadly this could have been tragic, but it wasn't. My son is happy and healthy," she said.

"I love this centre; it's a family here. I would really appreciate there's no slander made about it."

READ MORE: One-Year-Old Boy Dead After Reports He Was Left In Hot Car

Earlier, co-owner Steve Grundy told 10 News First his team is "very much in shock".

"Our first point of concern is for the parents ... we are relieved everyone is safe and well," he said.

Grundy said the centre alerted parents on Wednesday night as soon as they were made aware of the incident, later reporting it to the Department of Family and Community Services (FACS).

Image: 10 News First

Both police and the centre are now conducting their own inquiries.

"We need to find out how it happened and make sure it doesn't happen again," Grundy said.

The bus driver has been suspended pending a full investigation.

Featured image: 10 News First