Thief Gets Stuck In Chimney, Calls 000 To Be Rescued

It's about the right time of year to be stuck inside a chimney.

A would-be thief was forced to call Triple Zero on Monday night, after he became stuck in the chimney of a pharmacy north of Melbourne.

The 22-year-old allegedly chose the roof entrance on Lancefield's High Street at about 10.30pm, but the chute was smaller than expected.

The young man tried to wiggle and shimmy his way down the smokestack but was unable to free himself.

READ MOREFamily To Be Fined Thousands For Mega Christmas Light Display

READ MORE: Woman Gets Her Head Stuck In Exhaust Pipe At Music Festival

After setting the store's alarm off, he got out his mobile phone and called emergency services himself.

He was removed from the chimney and checked over by paramedics before he was taken into custody.

He was charged with burglary and released on bail ahead of  a court appearance after Christmas.