Jarryd Hayne Makes Bail Deadline After Sexual Assault Charges

Troubled former NRL star Jarryd Hayne has reported to police on bail for the first time since being charged with sexually assaulting a young woman.

But the 30-year-old cut it fine, arriving at Sydney’s Castle Hill Police Station just 30 minutes before his 8pm deadline.

If he’d failed to report within the required timeframe, police had declared they would send officers to find him and potentially arrest him for breach of bail.

Hayne arrived half an hour before his bail deadline. Image: Channel 10

Hayne faced a barrage of questions from waiting journalists as he strode into the police station from a silver ute, accompanied by a male friend.

He did not say a word, despite being asked several times whether he would be fighting a charge of aggravated sexual assault.

Police allege Hayne attacked a 26-year-old woman at her home in the NSW Hunter Region on September 30.

Hayne leaving the police station after meeting his bail requirements. Image: Channel 10

The pair had initially communicated via social media, but the woman alleges Hayne then sexually assaulted her, and bit her, causing scarring and injuries which required hospital treatment.

She initially reported the assault to the NRl Integrity Unit, which referred the case to NSW Police.

At the request of detectives, Hayne handed himself into Ryde Police station at 4.05pm on Monday, where he declined to answer questions.

He was placed under arrest and charged with a single count of “aggravated sexual assault - cause actually bodily harm to victim”, an offence which carries a maximum of 20 years jail.

Police took nine hours to make a decision regarding Hayne being released on bail.

READ MORE: Jarryd Hayne Charged With Aggravated Sexual Assault

10 News First understands investigators on the case wanted him to be locked up overnight and brought before a Magistrate on Tuesday.

But after some internal police opposition to this plan, a senior officer reviewed the case and decided to grant a strict conditional release.

He eventually walked out of the police station accompanied by his manager Wayne Beavis at 1.30am.

Hayne leaving Ryde Police Station after handing himself in. Image: Channel 10

Under the terms of his bail, Hayne must report to Castle Hill police station every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday between 8am and 8pm.

He was forced to hand over his passport, provide a $20,000 surety and must stay away from airports, and the entire city of Newcastle.

He must also not contact, stalk, intimidate or harass his alleged victim.

Hayne will face Burwood Local Court on December 10.