Mum Issues Warning After Baby Nearly Dies From Drinking Bath Water
A mum who was forced to rush her 11-month-old daughter to emergency after she drank too much bath water has issued a warning to other parents.
US mum Katie Gorter said her baby Emily became sick after ingesting a significant amount of bath water, detailing the scary experience of near water intoxication on Facebook.
“Currently dealing with my 11-month-old having water intoxication! I only ever offer 2oz (60mL) a day and usually she doesn’t finish it,” the Oregon woman wrote.
"Yesterday she discovered she could drink the bath water. I didn’t think much of it at the time and later ended up rushing her to the ER.
"She became lethargic, started vomiting, and then was struggling to breath. She had so much water in her it was compressing her lungs!"
While Katie's daughter is doing much better she said Emily is still "vomiting very often".
"Water intoxication is very real and can happen so easily!” the mum explained.
Please only offer babies six-12 months no more than 2oz (60mL) of water in a 24-hour period. Babies younger than six months cannot have any at all!
"I just wanted to put this out there for those who don’t believe it matters and give their baby as much as they want. Breastmilk/formula is plenty.
“And just because baby is close to a year [old] does not mean they can have more than 2oz (60mL)! My daughter is a year in three weeks and here we are.”
A number of parents responded to Katie's post stating they had never heard of the dangers associated with giving water to a baby.
Lactation expert and author Pinky McKay told 10 daily that giving a baby water can dilute the sodium in their bloodstream to the point where a potentially life threatening condition known as “oral water intoxication” develops.
This can lead to symptoms like low body temperature, bloating and seizures.
"Although it seems pretty ‘normal’ for older babies to try and drink bathwater – it’s a new fun experience to them – it’s important to distract your baby if they decide to have a drink of water in the bath," she said.
"Offer a toy, blow some bubbles or take them out of the bath."
Giving water to newborns can further affect a mother's breast milk supply and the baby’s weight gains.
Giving water fills your baby’s tummy which means they will drink less milk. This can affect their weight gains or they may even lose weight. It can also have a negative impact on establishing your milk supply.
Since her scary experience, Katie has shared an update on Emily explaining she is doing "really good today".
"We are at six hours without puking so far," she said. "She’s even playing again! I also wanted to add, she did not have any water in her lungs, they were clear!"
"It was the first thing the physician checked for. She did not aspirate any water and did not have dry drowning. Purely only water intoxication."
Featured image: Facebook