Advertisement

Plants, Lamps And Oils, Everything In Your Home That Could Kill Your Pet

When Maddie Smith's cat, Ruby, began acting strangely she thought it was from the cold weather. But Ruby's health quickly deteriorated by the time she had returned from work that evening.

At that point, Ruby was unable to walk, eat or drink and had issues with her hearing and sight. Maddie noted she was walking strangely and her head position looked odd.

The New Zealand woman rushed Ruby to her local vet, who informed her she had brain swelling as a result of sodium poisoning. The salt poisoning was caused by a Himalayan salt lamp.

READ MORE: Vets Tell Us Which Dog Breeds Will Cost You The Most

Maddie had the common household item in her lounge room and didn't realise her cat had been licking the lamp, which caused her neurological issues.

"This is usually more common in dogs so this was a huge shock, and their first case they have seen with a cat," Maddie said. 

"Salt poisoning is EXTREMELY deadly to animals and she is basically a miracle to still be here now."

Sodium poisoning has the potential to be life-threatening for pets, with symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and poor coordination.

Maddie said the taste of salt can be addictive for cats and dogs and likened it to the human consumption of potato chips.

"Please please keep these out of reach from your fur babies," she said.

"Hopefully sharing this might help educate others on just how deadly these lamps can be if the salt is ingested. I know mine's not staying in our house that’s for sure."

Philodendrons are a plant that can be toxic to pets. Image: Getty

Aside from Himalayan salt lamps being kept in the home for aesthetic purposes, there are a number of other indoor items that have recently been made popular again for their believed health benefits that can pose as a hazard to pets.

Some indoor plants have been known to be poisonous to pets, such as cats and dogs, including azaleas, lilies, mistletoe, and philodendrons.

"Be careful to keep your plants away from pets as some can be dangerous. Lilies can be highly toxic to both dogs and cats, causing gastrointestinal upset," Dr Tina Huynh, a Sydney based Pawssum vet, told 10 daily.

Essential oil diffusers can also be dangerous. Image: Getty

Aromatherapy products such as essential oil diffusers and burners should alsobe used with caution as some of the oils used, particularly if they have synthetic ingredients, can be toxic to animals.

"The effects are dependent on the type of essential oil and the concentration as some can cause hypothermia (a sudden drop in body temperature) or reduced respiration," Dr Huynh told 10 daily.

Cats are especially sensitive to essential oils. Ingesting a significant quantity of the oil can lead to gastrointestinal upset, central nervous system depression and even liver damage.

The best way around this is to not use the oils where your pets have access and speak to your veterinarian about any approved oils.

Featured image: Facebook