Advertisement

A Woman Had 500 Holes Burned Into Her Eye By Her Bright Phone Screen

A woman who used her phone with the screen on full brightness has ended up with 500 holes burned into her eye.

A woman in southern Taiwan has suffered the consequences of using her phone with the screen setting on maximum brightness after doctors revealed that she'd effectively burned up to 500 holes in her cornea as a result.

Image: Asiawire.

At first, the 25-year-old's eyes became bloodshot then shortly after that they began to hurt -- that's when she sought medical help, LADbible reports.

According to her doctor, the woman had been exposing herself to more than 600 lumens every day for two years -- when the recommended daily level is roughly 300.

Image: Asiawire.

READ MORE: Sydney Restaurateur 'Doesn't Care If He Loses Customers' Over iPhone Ban

Lumens are used to measure the amount of light visible to the human eye from a lamp or other light source -- the more lumens, the brighter the light.

To put it into perspective, one lumen is roughly equal to the light a single birthday candle emits -- a standard 40-watt light bulb puts out about 600 to 800 lumens.

According to the Mirror, exposing your eyes to just two hours of anything brighter than 600 lumens is like putting your eyes in a microwave. Eek.

It's little wonder then that this woman's eyes were cooked.

Image: Asiawire.
Our phone fetish

If our addiction to our mobile phones is anything to go by, many of us are at risk of singed eyeballs.

According to a recent survey by Huawei Australia, running out of phone battery is literally ruining our lives.

Yup, Aussies' FOBO -- that's Fear of Battery Obliteration -- is so bad that some of us get sweaty palms, teary and anxious when our phones die.

Another study found that students would rather skip a meal than spend time away from their phones.

It's not just our eyes that are at risk. Checking your phone when you wake up is apparently ruining your entire day -- and your brain.

Sure, almost all of us do it but it's making us super stressed wellbeing expert, neuroscience PhD student and R U OK? ambassador Chelsea Pottenger told 10 daily.

Then there was that tragic story of a Russian teenager who reportedly died after her phone dropped into her bath while it was charging.

Sounds like we all need to break our phone addiction -- here are some psychologist-approved tips to help you quit.

Feature image: Asiawire.