New James Bond Film 'No Time To Die' Pushed Back Over Coronavirus Concerns
Initially slated for an April release, the latest James Bond film 'No Time To Die' has been pushed back until November due to coronavirus fears.
MGM and Universal announced in a statement on Wednesday the 25th film in the Bond franchise would be delayed due to expectations the virus outbreak would in turn affect global entertainment markets.
"Like every other global company, we're looking at the marketplace and we're trying to understand where the markets are down," an MGM spokesperson told CNN Business.
"A huge percentage of theatres around the world are unavailable for this film."
The spokesperson said it "didn't seem achievable for the film to hit its high level of success" in this marketplace.
"It was really an economic decision more than anything else," they added.
It's the latest in a list of issues for the production, which has already seen its release pushed back from October last year after original director Danny Boyle dropped out. Actor Daniel Craig also underwent minor ankle surgery after injuring his foot while shooting in Jamaica.
A series of controlled explosions during filming at Pinewood Studios also went awry, leaving one crew member needing medical attention.
The film industry is facing the prospect of losing hundreds of millions of dollars as it moves to deal with the strain of coronavirus, also known as Covid-19.
Production for Mission: Impossible 7 has also been halted along with the Chinese release of its Sonic The Hedgehog.
It comes as the number of cases in Australia rose to 42 on Wednesday evening, with confirmation an 82-year-old aged care resident was the 16th case in NSW.