Advertisement

Kevin Spacey Makes Surprise Appearance In Court For Groping Case Hearing

The disgraced actor made an unexpected appearance in court on Monday where his attorney said he was "suffering" while waiting to clear his name.

Appearing before a judge for the case accusing Spacey, 59, of groping a young man at a Nantucket bar in 2016, the former 'House of Cards' star was silent as his attorney, Alan Jackson, labelled the case "ridiculous".

Jackson reportedly asked the judge for a swift trial as his client had been

"suffering every day" while waiting for the opportunity to clear his name in the case.

Spacey has pleaded not guilty to the charge of indecent assault and battery and could face up to two and a half years if convicted.

While his appearance in court was not necessary -- and somewhat of a surprise -- Spacey remained silent as his attorneys accused prosecutors of not handing over information related to the case, claiming the man deleted text messages that may support Spacey's innocence.

The 'Baby Driver' star occasionally whispered in his attorney's ear but refused to answer reporter's questions as he entered and exited the courthouse.

Sexual Misconduct Kevin Spacey
Spacey was seen smiling and whispering to his attorney but did not speak or answer reporters' questions. Photo: AP Photo/Steven Senne.

READ MORE: Kevin Spacey Silent In Court To Face Sexual Assault Charge, Pleads Not Guilty

READ MORE: Kevin Spacey's Billionaire Boys Club Barely Made $100 On Opening Day

The case first came to light when former TV news anchor Heather Unruh made the claim that Spacey had sexually assaulted her son, via a news conference in 2017.

Unruh described her son as a "star-struck, straight, 18-year-old young man who had no idea that the famous actor was an alleged sexual predator, or that he was about to become his next victim".

"To Kevin Spacey, I want to say this," Unruh said at the time, "Shame on you for what you did to my son."

This is the only case brought against Spacey however in October 2017 actor Anthony Rapp told BuzzFeed News the actor had made sexual advances on him when he was 14-years-old. Following that initial report, more men came forward with their accounts of sexual assault and misconduct against Spacey.

The Old Vic Theatre, where Spacey was Artistic Director from 2004 to 2015, set up a hotline for former and current staff to report any sexual misconduct or harassment. They reported 20 men came forward with accounts.

While Spacey's attorney pushed for a trial date in the next few months, the judge said the earliest it would happen would be from September.

Featured image: AAP.